Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Week #9, Thing #21 -- Podcasts


http://rss.cnn.com/services/podcasting/raceto08/rss

I found this experience to be extremely frustrating as many of the links from the Raven About Web 2.0 did not work (especially the Yahoo ones), but was able to find some podcasts of interest once I went searching on my own. I have selected America Votes 2008 to subscribe to since I enjoy listening to what presidential candidates have to say. I have include the RSS feed information for you if you wish to add it to your subscriptions. I had never listened to a podcast before and really didn't understand what they were -- but, I did the next best thing for myself -- I asked my teenager and she was able to explain about them in length and now I feel well versed. It reminded me that our students provide a wealth of knowledge for us that we often times failed to tap into! I enjoyed the first podcast of my subscription and am looking forward to listening to many more in the coming months. If I like this podcast I will consider sharing each morning at school so that students can be attuned to what is happening in the 2008 election. I'm thinking of billing it as "Library Moment -- come listen to news about the election". I certainly plan to share this podcast and hopefully others that I find on the election with my staff and allow students to access podcasts in the library. I am concerned that if I allow students to access podcasts in the school library will I run into access inappropriate materials -- perhaps a chance I may have to take (if the filters do not work well enough). I think podcasting is exciting and certainly something that students would enjoy using.

1 comment:

Katie said...

So sorry I am behind on reading your entries. I have taken out the yahoo link and added a couple new links you might want to look at for the podcasts, should you have any more time.