Monday, June 30, 2008

Week #9, Thing #20 -- Videos



What a fun experience! I enjoyed looking at so many videos -- but I had to make a choices eventually or I would still be looking at them. I selected two to share -- the first one is Julie Andrews promoting the use of the public library (Palin should make one for Alaska's Libraries). The other one I chose was "A Library As Big As Texas . . . ." which made me think that we should make one that says "A Library As Big As Alaska" (perhaps it should really read, A Library Bigger Than Texas); but this one promotes the use of databases -- we could promote our Digital Pipeline. I think that video like these and especially tutorial based videos could certain peak the interest of students to learn more about how a library functions and how to conduct research at a library. I am starting to collect videos that will be helpful for lessons I plan to share this coming school year. Wow -- to me this is powerful -- teachers could assign the viewing of these tutorials and students would certainly respond favorably -- it is the Web 2.0 teaching strategy.

2 comments:

Katie said...

The potential with videos both as a teaching tool to show students but also as a product for students to create is so exciting!

I think it was one of our Alaska librarians who talked about limiting students to what they could record on their phones in the best of three tries in an effort to keep them concise. That seemed like good advise.

Also, are you aware of the videos at Common Craft? http://www.commoncraft.com/show

They have great explanations of many of the Web 2.0 features and I love the simplicity of their products.

Pekochan said...

I love the excitement generated by students when we use technology. I worked with 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders on a variety of projects using iMovie, Garageband, and Podcasts. I found that the students still have to go through similar research processes when planning their projects, but it seemed less daunting to them. They were able to learn, create, and share their learning experiences with others in a manner that is familiar to them.
I visited the commoncraft website and I really enjoy the simplicity of explanations offered. I'd love to use this with our staff in trainings and even with students.
Thanks!
Susan K.