Friday, June 27, 2008

Week #7, Thing #16 -- wikis

Wikis are wikitastic! I found so many fabulous ideas about wikis while looking at the suggested list. I want to make my own wiki for my library -- mmmm! What should it include? I would place a link to our OPAC, databases we subscribe to, classroom assignments that are researched in the library with links to websites to help students with their research, bibliographic formatting information, and much more. I would also have a separate wiki just for book reviews or book suggestions that students can add to. I do think that there needs to be a manager of the wiki when tied to a library to always check for appropriate materials and to remove items that are no longer valid over time. There are so many good things that could be placed on wiki. What fun wiki are -- what a wonderful was to social connect patrons to their library and vice verso! I liked how wikis could be adapted for many uses -- conferences, classroom assignment, libraries, general information, professional standards information, career information. I also liked how wikis can be global, local, or site based. They are simply wikitastic!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I hope you'll share some of these wikis you create with the rest of us. I look forward to borrowing some great ideas from you to share with our staff.