Monday, June 30, 2008

Week #8, Thing #19.1 Alaska's Digital Pipeline


I've used this resources for several years now, but never knew I could have my own personal account where I could save search results. In the past I had notice the email option, but did know that I could actually email articles to myself for future use (how powerfully wonderful). Lastly, I never knew how to use the folders for temporary collection of searches -- so I wouldn't have to remember how to get back to an articles while I found others. The tutorial provided on Digital Pipeline is wonderful -- particularly the part that includes the narrowing of a search terms in the advance search option. Students who will take the time to learn how to use this database will see the benefits it could provide for them. I find many students who do not want to learn how to use databases because it is easier to "just search the web". For the coming school year I hope I will be able to present this tutorial to my staff -- to make them more attuned to the concept of doing good research -- I've heard teachers say to students, "oh, just Google it"! Also, I will propose to staff that this tutorial be presented to all freshman and sophomores at our school. I include the sophomores because I think it will take more than once for them to truly understand how databases work and are organized. After all, the sophomore's program can be a refresher program and the freshman's program the introductory program. Convincing students to use databases for research will be a big challenge during the coming school year. (Hiker taken from the Alaska Digital Pipeline Tutorial Page).

1 comment:

Katie said...

Isn't the folder aspect of the databases great? If we could teach students to use folders and to save search strings as well think how much time they might save? I'm sure technology will come up with easier ways but I'm always amazed at how much time I can put into looking for an article, find something good (but not mark it) and never get back to the same spot again. The next generation will have to be more efficient because the amount of information to search just keeps growing.