Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Week #6, Thing #14 -- Technorati

Technorati was interesting and has fabulous potential, but for me I was overwhelmed by it. There was a definite difference when using the blog posts option, the tags option, and the blog directory option. I found the blog directory the best was to go as the posts were too numerous to determine what was really of interest to me. Sometimes the tagging worked well, but only if what I defined the tag as was the same as those who used the tag to mean the same thing as I did. I don't think I will use Technorati very much, but think that it could be useful when researching information that is very recent, particularly if the need for opinions is required.
An item of interest that I found was an article about the certification of school librarians and how that relates to No Child Left Behind requirements -- this article was about possibilities for the future. I didn't think to bookmark it, so I searched again and wasn't able to find it a second time. The article also spoke about a program for school libraries called SKILL (can't remember what it stands for, but it sounded interesting and was used to help with the teaching of library skills for all ages. I have left this assignment feeling overwhelmed and frustrated.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Technorati is pretty overwhelming. It never ceases to amaze me how many people have embraced the opportunity to have the world read what they have to say. And while I agree with you that it may be valuable for researching current information it further emphasizes to me the importance of teaching students techniques for assessing the accuracy of that information. One short search I did turned up some pretty whacky stuff. I wasn't even sure it was generated by a human!!

Katie