Saturday, June 21, 2008

Week #5, Thing #11 -- Web 2.0 Award winner, Biblio.com

I selected the Web 2.0 Award winner Biblio.com. This consists of over 50,000,000 used, new, and rare books to purchase from community businesses throughout the United States -- does include some from Canada and Australia as well. I like that it had an easy to use search tool which included a separate subject search tool. It also had a separate textbook search option and a rare book section. Some book reviews were included, but not for all titles. I would suggest Biblio.com for personal use rather than for library use as it deals in used books, but also because it simply is not geared for public school libraries. One useful features to the site was the advance search option. If you were looking to replace something old it is probably one of the best search tools around for locating it. I like how it gave details for contacting the bookstore the items is located at. It was easy to use. I also learned that Biblio.com is a global thinking company which works to build libraries in other countries. I would recommend it to others. When you have a moment try it out at http://www.biblio.com/!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I certainly appreciate your assessment of the site. I have heard of them but never had time to visit. Now I really want to check it out!

Have you heard about BookMooch? www.BookMooch.com It's a site where people (or libraries) can post books they have to give away and others may look through the offerings and request books from them. It has grown considerably since it started and offers many more features including one call BookMooch Journals, which looks very intriguing for the young and old. I have not tried posting or requesting a book due to time constraints but I am very intrigued by the concept and impressed by how widely it is being embraced.

Katie