Monday, June 23, 2008

Week #6, Thing #13 -- Del.icio.us

del.icio.us is delicious! I think libraries could use this web 2.o tool to assist patrons with frequently asked requests, with subjects area reference, and just plain fun. What do I find? I need information on? I have a paper to write about? These questions are often heard in school libraries. Del.icio.us could help to organize the answers to these questions with links to the library catalog, to useful databases and websites, and subject matter information. This would be a marvelous collaboration project for school librarians to do with classroom teachers -- the coordination of a research assignment between librarian and classroom teacher is what I call librarian's heaven! I have started a del.icio.us account for myself to practice with at home and find it easy to use and ultimately will have me better organized.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Deborah,
Del.icio.us is fantastic!! I have almost quit using bookmarks and solely use del.icio.us. That is until I upgraded Firefox and there is not add-on created yet for del.icio.us. Major bummer!! My son tells me one will be along any day.

We have been promoting del.icio.us widely in our district. One elementary school set up an account which the teachers and librarian use. We also set up a district library account which I feed with sites I find and encourage the schools to search if they are looking for particular topics.

If you choose to set up an account for your school or district I would encourage you to first have a conversation about tag conventions ahead of time to eliminate unnecessary duplications. By this I mean deciding if you will use an underscore between two words or run them together. Ex. Alaska_culture or Alaskaculture. and First_Grade_Math or 1stGradeMath. With no prescribed vocabulary (ala Sears Subject headings) the sky is the limit for tagging and it can get pretty messy quickly.

Del.icio.us is so much more convenient than bookmarking to me, however I see in the Firefox upgrade that the bookmarking tab now includes a tagging feature, so who knows...maybe one can have their cake and eat it too!

Katie